$100,000 reward offered in KimTeer case

Date: September 1979
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact: Crimestoppers 1800 333 000


In the hopes of solving the mystery of missing teenager Kim Teer who vanished more than 30 years ago Victoria Police announced in September 2013  a $100,000 reward for information that could lead to a conviction.

The cold case reward has been offered for information that could lead to an arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for the the Port Macquarie teenager’s disappearance in 1979.

Ms Teer, then aged 17, and her border collie Crosbie, were last seen in East Melbourne in September 1979.

Kim Teer was hitchhiking around Australia when she disappeared in Victoria between September and October 1979.

The teenager, 17, was staying with two friends in East Melbourne when she allegedly argued with the couple and walked off into the night, never to be heard or seen from again.

Homicide Squad detectives believe Kim was murdered and have offered the reward to entice anyone with information to come forward and finally give Kim's mum, Colleen Holding, some peace after 32 years.

"As an investigator, we know when there is an unsolved homicide there is someone waiting by the phone for news," Detective Leading Senior Constable Phill Gynther said.

"It will be most satisfying to be able to ring Colleen and let her know what happened.

"I cannot fathom the depths of grief she has suffered every day for the past 32 years and that she'll continue to, until she knows what happened to her only child."

The couple, who last saw Kim alive, have told police a row broke out over an item of clothing and she packed up her stuff and left the Simpson St unit at night saying she would go to South Australia.

That couple, who had a child together, are now separated and living in different states.

"We believe there is someone out there who has information that can solve this case," Detective Inspector John Potter said.

"Circumstances change and people's lives change. Someone who may not have felt comfortable coming forward with information previously may now be in a position to do so.

"We hope that by announcing this reward  it may give someone even more impetus to come forward," he added.

Kim wrote letters to her mum religiously each week as she travelled around Australia.

The alarm was raised when mum Colleen did not hear from Kim leading up to and after her 18th birthday on October 15, 1979.

"I know something dreadful happened, just as I did all those years ago," Colleen said

"The pain never goes away, it's a feeling of despair. I just want it resolved one way or another, to know what happened and where.

"I am envious of parents who are able to bury their children - I doubt I'll ever be able to able to, and that's something that haunts me every day of my life."

Kim left her home near Port Macquarie, NSW, in late 1978 with a female friend and her black-and-white border collie, called Crosby.

When she arrived in Melbourne in August 1979, she helped the couple she was living with clean out a relative's house in Darling St, East Melbourne.

The trio also spent a lot of time at Kangaroo Ground, 25km north east of the CBD.

After not hearing from Kim for two weeks after her birthday, Colleen sent a telegram to the post office in Kangaroo Ground, asking her daughter to urgently ring her.

Colleen was told by the postmaster when she went searching for Kim, that the telegram had been picked up by the man she was staying with.

It is believed this man sold his car for scrap metal soon after Kim's mystery disappearance, changed his name and is now living in Darwin.

His then girlfriend is now living in NSW.

Investigators would like to speak to anyone who has any information about Kim's disappearance or had any contact with her between August and October 1979.

Anyone with any information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or via the website at

Reward information